Well at least that's my 2 cents. It's evident on celebrities all the time - regardless whether they are vintage or modern day Hollywood celebrities. They always find a way to spice and spruce up their looks with complementary accessories.
In terms of vintage accessories, you are spoiled for choice. However, more often that not, the question becomes what type of accessories constitutes vintage accessories? Well, whenever in doubt, I say we learn from the best - and that is - fashion and style icons from the 1940s and 1950s - my favorite eras. :)
1. Vintage Hair AccessoriesHair accessories, such as rockabilly headbands or floral hair clips are a must if you love the pin up girl or rockabilly look. Vintage headbands are also a perfect accompaniment to the 1920s style flapper dresses or vintage style wedding dresses.
Take Bettie Page for example, she's the Queen of Pin Ups and you'll usually spot her wearing a flower or a rockabilly headband as a hair accessory.
Today's hair accessories are a little more modernized in that they come attached with hair clips or wire support. For instance, hair clips are now commonly adorned with large flowers and pearls, and rockabilly headbands have a built in wire frame to help keep it in shape if you can't be bothered with tying knots (yes, knots usually gives me a headache for some peculiar reason).
|Bettie Page wearing a vintage flower hair accessory|
|Bettie Page in a headband|
2. Vintage JewelryIt goes without saying that vintage style jewelry is a must to perfect your ensemble. Traditionally, pearls are your best bet, but there are always other alternatives if you don't fancy pearls that much.
The thing about vintage style jewelry is that they are bold and elegant. Modern day accessories inspired by vintage fashion now also feature ornaments such as fruits (cherries, strawberries, etc.), flowers (roses, etc.) and tattoos (skulls, guns, etc.).
It's also very common to find statement necklaces, such as the bib necklace worn by Grace Kelly below in the movie, To Catch A Thief.
|Grace Kelly wearing a statement bib necklace (Image Credit: Ruth Bright Carroll)|
|Marilyn Monroe looking gorgeous as always in her statement earrings|
3. Belts and SashesBelts not only help add definition to your waistline but they are just so chic and stylish! I especially love Lauren Bacall's casual, relaxed look in her white button downs and classic square buckle belt.
|Lauren Bacall in the 1948 film, Key Largo (Image Credit: In Style)|
4. Scarves and KerchiefsLauren Bacall is the epitome of classic, feminine beauty (to me at least), and I adore this picture of her in a scarf which contrasts so well against her all black outfit.
|Lauren Bacall wearing a scarf (Image Credit: Vogue)|
|Ava Gardner wearing a neckerchief|
5. SunglassesSunglasses, shades or sunnies (whichever you call it) can be classy, seductive or cheeky, depending on how you wear it. Cat eye sunglasses (the ones Marilyn Monroe and Lauren Bacall are wearing below) is definitely worth considering if you love the classic, vintage look.
|Marilyn Monroe and Lauren Bacall looking cute in their cat eye sunglasses|
6. Clothing AccessoriesYes, you read that right. Did you know that you could accessorize your clothing as well? Anything from brooches to pins, sweater or collar clips or collar bows can give your outfit a boost of vintage flair.
In fact, Grace Kelly owns a few iconic brooches but her signature pin is the Cartier poodle pin, as depicted below. Well of course, not all of us can afford a diamond encrusted Cartier pin, but you can get by with just about any brooch.
|Grace Kelly wearing her signature poodle pin|
And when it comes to vintage hats or fascinators, no one does it better than Audrey Hepburn. That's my take, anyway. For an elegant look, go for large bold hats that complement your outfit.
What's your favorite vintage style accessory or jewelry? Do share!