Audrey Hepburn will usually top our list, but surprisingly enough (well, maybe not), it's Grace Kelly that's driven most of our dress selections this week. See, we're not that predictable. 😉 When it comes to dressing the part, this princess knows best. You probably may have seen these photos before, but it never ever gets old for us. After all, that's the best part about retro and vintage inspired designs - they'll never go out of style.
1. Colour BlocksCan you believe that colour block formal dresses have been in fashion since back then? I especially adore this beautiful frock which Grace Kelly wore in the film, Rear Window. I love that it's so simple yet ever so elegant - so typical Grace Kelly style. Then again, beauty doesn't have to be complicated. Anyway, we'll have to thank Edith Head again for this classic, timeless number. The contrast really works with the belt adding a cute little detail to the waistline and the slightly lower V neck shows off the decolletage quite elegantly.
|Image Credit: Exiled in Style|
2. Off ShouldersThe fact that I love Audrey Hepburn to bits also means that she has to be on this list right? Yes, absolutely! If you've been mulling over whether or not to wear a ball gown, well maybe this will give you a good enough reason to? Here's a rare photo of Audrey Hepburn as Princess Ann in the movie, Roman Holiday. That off shoulder ball gown is to die for! And ladies, if you're not going to wear a ball gown to your formals or wedding - then when else?
|Image Credit: Rare Audrey Hepburn|
3. Sweetheart NecklinesThere's something about strapless sweetheart necklines that makes us swoon. (Note to self: Maybe that's why it's called a sweetheart neckline?) Most designs with this neckline just exude a feminine flair effortlessly, and with special occasions such as formals or prom, they almost always end up being the favourite choice. These days however, the colour white doesn't seem to get much love anymore, but it's still easily one of our favourite colours. I know I wouldn't pass up a date with anyone dolled up in a gorgeous white gown like the one Grace Kelly wore below in the movie, To Catch A Thief. 😍
|Grace Kelly, To Catch A Thief|
4. Off Shoulder Sweetheart NecklinesAnd what happens when you combine the best of both worlds? You get this beaut of a ball gown with an uber-feminine off shoulder sweetheart neckline. Suffice to say that this frock which Marilyn Monroe wore to the Academy Awards in 1951 still stands as one of our all time favourite Marilyn looks with such seductive glam. And that smile, it's priceless.
|Image Credit: Sugarkane|
5. LaceWhen it comes to lace, I guess things can become a tad tricky. Simple reason being you either really love lace or hate it, so it's really subject to personal taste. However, having said that, I find it hard to believe how anyone would actually NOT like this dress. Picture perfect in white? It's an understatement. But that's probably how I would best describe Lauren Bacall dressed in this stunning white lace frock in the film, How to Marry A Millionaire. And that subtle touch of pearls - ingenious!
|Image Credit: Everett Collection|
Can't get enough of these beauties? Time to head on over to our store and check out more vintage inspired prom dresses, ladies! Till next time, stay retro. 💛